Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas chicken - pen!

What a relaxing Christmas break. I hope everyone else can say the same thing! :)

My brother Ross came over and we all got stuck into the chook pen wall. It looks so great, I just have to show you all!

Finished! The last layer of the outside wall!



We changed the ratio to 6 sand and 4 clay and it seems to have done the trick, and not cracked very much at all.

The next day we worked on the first layer of the inside wall. It's the hardest layer because it requires the most amount of clay. The clay needs to be sifted (wet) through a screen to get out the many rocks. The end result is well worth it though! Just two more layers to go, but thankfully they're easier to do!





It's a messy but satisfying process!



Not too long to wait until we get chooks living there! I hope they appreciate all the effort! hehe. Well, I just hope they like their home and it stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter for them. :)



Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. That looks great. A job well done!

    Those will be some lucky chooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to show that photo to my chooks. they will start demanding something similar I know!!! What a lot of work though. It will be great for them come hot weather though as it will be so well insulated - They will be very happy chookies - and I love the picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lucky chooks. Can you come and help me do my house?!

    ReplyDelete