The Strawbale Workshop we went to early in the year has finally come in handy! We're making the south wall of the chook pen out of straw. (The idea is to keep the cold southerly winds out.)
We used bamboo stakes to help hold the straw bales together, and once the wall was up, all that is left to be done is mud it.
With both our hands, face and bodies covered in mud, we didn't get too many chances to take photos of the progress! This is the first coat.
The bath is being used to soak the clay in water, and we use the screen to filter out the rocks which helps break up the clay too. The first coat is simply clay and straw mixed together. It's a messy process, but quite fun!
There's more to be done before chooks arrive though! I'll keep you posted.