Monday, October 19, 2009

Catch up from Saturday

Marty cut the water tank in 3, and we made use of the new garden beds. These two have potatoes in them. They were really overgrown in the bags, and were desperate to get out! The variety closest to the camera are Saphire. We grew them last year, although not very successfully thanks to the earwigs. The one further away in this picture are Russet Burbank. We havn't grown these before, but the description says "An American cultivar released in 1908, Russet Burbank is a multi-purpose potato suitable for baking and chips. It's a late maturing type with highly russetted tubers." Sounds interesting!

These are a bit of an experiment this year, as we used our compost which is a little (a lot!) too alkaline. To counter this, we've layered the compost with large amounts of pine needles, which are quite acidic. Potatoes prefer a slightly acidic soil, so hopefully things will work out in their favour. Good luck little taters!

The third one is the not-painted tank on the back-right in the picture below. Inside is growing lettuce and carrots. The carrots are only seeds at this stage, but the lettuce have been growing well in the cold frame, and we transplanted them to their new home on Saturday as well.

Again, we used a mixture of compost, horse manure and pine needles. The top layer is basic potting mix, purchased from the local nursery.

The garden bed at the front has lettuce and spring onions, and the one on the left has beetroot.

Otherwise, the garden is looking very weedy! The rain has settled down and everything is growing crazy. The bok choy here is about ready to harvest the seeds from, but even so, the celery is still in there, growing happily.

And next to the freezer is some broccoli that I threw in because I had nowhere else to put them. I honestly wasn't expecting them to survive, as the bed had pretty fresh horse manure in it at the time.

Oh, can you see them between all those weeds? Never mind!!

Last but not least, we havn't accomplished much with the chook pen lately - except we found a window for it! It's second hand, cheap and very dirty. I think it'll clean up well though!

Next post: an update on the house, finally!


  1. hello you two! I noticed you had a temporary lapse of reason and decided to follow my blog so I came to say g'day and wow - you have a great project on your hands with the house and garden - very exciting. And as for the straw-bale chook house...fantastic!! Now I know where to send the girls for a holiday. I'll be back & congrats on the new job

  2. A long time ago my parents cut up tanks for chickens. They cut them the other way and I think put some wire on the front. They were used for sitting hens and baby chickens.