Hooray! A little update on the house repairs!
Having borrowed a hardy cement mixer, combined with the heavy metal balls from the mill (near where Marty is working), we can now make some lovely lime mortar. I'm finding a mixture of 1:1.5 (lime:sand) is making the best mix so far. It's so easy, I can make mortar all on my own! :)
I've been able to fix a few holes in the walls and even gave a little render a go. Today's effort was patching up a very bad spot. The wall literally moves when pressed and when I cleaned the area, bricks pretty much fell out! I took them out carefully and vacuumed out the mess.
The whole thing made me feel quite nervous! So, you can see how relieved I was when I finally finished, and it looks pretty good.
There was a smaller "hole" on the other side of the fireplace that we'd repaired earlier in the week. It's starting to look a little like a loungeroom!
Plenty more work to be done yet, I know, but the cold is being kept out a bit more, and we're a few steps closer to getting a floor in. I'll keep you updated!