Monday, April 18, 2011

Chook auction

I have mentioned before that we do have a lot of chooks at the moment. At last count, it was something like 24. The dorking chicks aren't chicks any longer and are ready for the main pen, so we made the decision to sell some of our chooks at auction.

That auction was yesterday.



Our birds are on the bottom row, 6 cages with information cards on them and food and water in cups. :) We had the three wyandottes, the three isa brown crosses, two isa cross cockerels and an araucana cockerel. The chooks around us were mostly silkies and australorps.



It was very well attended, lots of people having a good time. Some just looking, others buying up big.



The bidding was in a different room with a small telly showing what bird was being auctioned.



All of ours except the aracuana cockerel sold, so we took him home again. Thankfully we didn't win anything else! The chooks at home would have been quite upset with me! haha.

So our chook numbers are at a more comfortable level again - 16 chooks, and around 2 eggs a day. :)

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    I'm glad it's not just me - on Friday I too had 24 chooks in my suburban garden so I advertised a few over the weekend and managed to reduce numbers to 19 - and only 1 or 2 eggs a day here too. Of course I still have fertile 20 eggs on the go so there will be more tough decisions to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 5 hens and get 4 or 5 eggs a day. I do give them 1 large can of dog food a week when the weather gets cold to help them lay through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My five hens have not laid in months ... Time for some soup and new girlfriends for Rastus methinks ...

    ReplyDelete