Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken New Year!

For my first post of the year, I'd like to introduce you to the new loves of my life..

Here's one..


..and here's the rest!


There are 8 little fluff balls all up, our best incubation result ever (of the 14 eggs I put in the incubator, 8 were fertile. Since all 8 hatched, we couldn't be happier!)

We were intending to hand their care over to a broody hen, who was sitting on some golf balls. She decided at the last minute that chicks weren't such a good idea after all, which meant we had to come up with a solution for their housing pretty fast.

Marty and I work best under pressure.. so we came up with a quick plan.


Yes, well.. technical drawings complete, we got down to work.


Aaah 12mm ply board. What can't it do?


We changed the design as we went along, so the end result doesn't look much like the technical drawings - a good thing!!


The 8 little dorking chicks have a lot more room now! The top door is open to let some heat out.. only until the thermostat I ordered arrives in the mail. It will turn the light off once the temperature is perfect, and turn it on again if it strays. It should save some electricity and a little worry.

I have some chick-watching to do..
Until next time!

6 comments:

  1. Aww, How cute. Glad you got such a nice bunch of chicks. Thanks for the pics of you two. I love seeing them. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Manda. Those little chicks have great parents in you and Marty! They will follow you around everywhere when they get older.

    Gav x

    ReplyDelete
  3. who doesn't lov baby chicks, well done on the new chick house it looks great. sometimes hens just like the idea a chick but change their tiny minds when one is offered

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you planning to go into production on those brood boxes? I would be up for one if you are ... that is one fine, vermin-proof housing unit you have there - lovely for a smallish clutch to grow up in until they can cope in an outdoor run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,
    Your chicks are cute, good luck with them. I am your newest follower and am looking forward to seeing more. Greetings from the US...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome brooder box! I'd love to see more photos of how you've set it up. I'm definitely going to steal your basic plans :-).

    What breed are your chicks? I love their racing stripes!

    ReplyDelete