Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The camera died!

Hi again! I managed to get the last photos from my now dead camera, and I wanted to share them with you. The previous photos have been mostly of mess and boxes.. well, here are some of our favourite parts of this old cottage.

This is the front of the house, with the iron "lace" shadowing it - we love the colours, we think we'll keep them:



The light out the front makes the house look so cute at night:



The knocker on the front door is nice:



Below the knocker is the letter slot. It's not used - decoration only!



Plenty of cracks in this old house, but it has charm:



The front door bell is quite strange, never seen anything quite like it. It works, makes a big noise!



The fireplace in the front room / lounge room.. I'm confident it's original:



Outside now, this is the front yard - not large, but I like it. We're planning on ripping out the nasty old rose bushes and planting natives. Don't worry, it'll come up nice!



And last but not least, the veggie patch - one day! It's a weedy mess right now. Consider this a "before" shot, for sure!



I've joined the local library and borrowed a book called "How to restore the old Aussie house" by Ian Stapleton. It has plenty of information, and some strong opinions! One of the first things that is "wrong" with our cottage is that the timber floors were ripped-up and replaced by concrete. According to the author, this was a popular thing to do, and could lead to an increased rising damp problem. Hmm.. Not much we can do about it now, I don't think. I would like to see the first 4 rooms restored in some way, but not worry too much about the extended section which has the kitchen, bathroom etc. The laundry has an original trough, but I'm sure I can think of something else to do with that - perhaps outside. ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to get another camera online soon - but I wouldn't worry - nothing too big will happen before then! I'm still unpacking boxes and cleaning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment